(9 km - 10 mn)84210 Pernes-les-Fontaines
We provide you with a map which will allow you to visit Pernes-les-Fontaines by its "circuit of the fountains".
The imprint of the city's Gallo-Roman past is first of all in the etymology of its name, that of an estate owner, Paternus, which was long found in the designation of the city and its location. A deposit of dolia from the Augustan period has also been found.
The first quotation from Pernes dates back to 994, when the site was described as a Paternis villa. At the time, Pernes was a plain habitat, close to a church. During the 11th century, Pernes transited from the plain to the hillock on the left bank of the Nesque. A group of fortified houses then emerged, whose name became Paternensis castri. A few centuries later, Paternae became Pernes and finally, on March 18th 1936, the definitive name of "Pernes-les-Fontaines" was adopted.
Porte Villeneuve. Under the suzerainty of the Counts of Toulouse, Pernes became the capital of the Comtat Venaissin from 1125 to 1320. Indeed, when the Counts of Toulouse regained control of the Comtat, they affirmed their authority by installing representatives in the city of Pernes, which thus became the Capital of the Comtat Venaissin.
In the 12th and 13th centuries, the Abbey of Saint-André de Villeneuve-lès-Avignon owned the priory of Saint-Barthélemy de Carausac.
A seal with the coat of arms was found in 1993 in the commune. On one side is the Toulouse cross, while on the other side the "VII" can be clearly seen in the middle of other Roman letters and numbers. This lead seal would have been used to seal the acts of the Counts of Toulouse. Later, Raymond VII's daughter Jeanne, who had become sovereign, would give a new lustre to Pernes by marrying Alphonse de Poitiers, brother of Saint Louis.
After the Wars of Religion, Pernes was hit by several epidemics during the 16th and 17th centuries. Some archives mention, for example, 2,500 victims in the year 1580 alone.